Tips 2017-06-08T22:43:37+00:00

Tips & Terms

 

Terrytown technicians are not only pros in the heating and plumbing businesses; they also recognize homeowners’ concerns. For example, Terrytown recommends that today’s homeowner do the following:

 

Have a qualified technician inspect fuel burning appliances at least once each year.

 

Fuel burning appliances such as furnaces, hot water heaters and stoves require yearly maintenance. Over time, components can become damaged or deteriorate. A qualified technician can identify and repair problems with your fuel burning appliances.

 

Recognize the danger signs of a CO problem.

 

Such signs include: streaks of carbon or soot around the service door of your fuel burning appliances, the absence of a draft in your chimney, moisture collecting on the windows and walls of furnace rooms; fallen soot from the fireplace; small amounts of water leaking from the base of the chimney, vent or flue pipe; damaged or discolored bricks at the top of your chimney and rust on the portion of the vent pipe visible from outside your home.

 

Look for signs of carbon monoxide poisoning such as, flu-like symptoms, headaches, trouble breathing, dizziness, and fatigue.

 

Terrytown highly recommends installation of a carbon monoxide detector outside sleeping areas. A CO detector will sound an alarm before dangerous levels of CO accumulate. Nighttime is usually when most CO poisoning occurs. Do not place the detector within five feet of household chemicals.

 

If your detector is wired into your homes electrical system, you should test it monthly. If your unit is battery operated, test the unit weekly and replace the battery once a year. If your CO alarm sounds, it is best to open windows and doors for ventilation. A CO detector alarm indicates elevated levels of CO in the home, so never ignore the alarm.

 

Many problems arise for homeowners when the conditions in the home are TOO DRY (less than 30%). Such mishaps may include: Damage to wood floors, furniture; Static electricity; electronic equipment damage; Increased dust; Respiratory, throat, and skin irritations On the other hand, if conditions are TOO WET (greater than 50%), the following may occur; Termites, ants and other insects; Condensation and stains on walls and ceilings; Flaking paint, warped and peeling wallpaper; Growth of mold, mildew and allergic reactions.